Is Baptism Necessary to be Saved?
I. Is Baptism Necessary?
A. Is Baptism Necessary to Be Saved?
1. Mark 16:16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
2. John 3:5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.
3. Titus 3:5 Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;
4. 1 Peter 3:21 The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ:
B. Baptism: A Commandment Of The Lord
1. Matthew 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
2. Mark 16:16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.
3. Luke 24:47 And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.
C. Apostles Heard And Obeyed Jesus
1. They preached baptism.
2. Not ONE apostle preached that baptism was NOT necessary!
D. Baptism: Commanded by the Apostles
1. Acts 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. (See also Luke 24:47; John 3:5; Titus 3:5; Matthew 28:19.)
2. Acts 10:47 Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we: 48 And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then prayed they him to tarry certain days.
3. Acts 8:35,36 Then Philip opened his mouth, and began at the same scripture, and preached unto him Jesus. 36 And as they went on their way, they came unto a certain water: and the eunuch said, See, here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptized?
4. In answer to the eunuch's question, "What doth hinder me?" Philip replied:
a) Acts 8:37 And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.
5. Philip did not tell the eunuch that baptism was not necessary. Instead, he informed him;
a) To Believe!
b) To Understand That baptism without faith (or belief) is worthless.
c) Acts 8:38 And he commanded the chariot to stand still: and they went down both into the water, both Philip and the eunuch; and he baptized him.
(1) Philip baptized the eunuch because he believed.
(2) Contrary to what some believe and teach, all baptisms were NOT public events. This one took place in the wilderness.
6. Acts 22:16 (Paul Rehearsing) And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord.
7. Acts 9:18 And immediately there fell from his eyes as it had been scales: and he received sight forthwith, and arose, and was baptized.
8. 2 He said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed? And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost. 3 And he said unto them, Unto what then were ye baptized? And they said, Unto John's baptism. 4 Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus. 5 When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.
E. The Big Question Asked and Answered in Acts 22:16.
1. And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord.
F. How Can Anyone Honestly Teach That Baptism Is NOT Necessary?
1. Answer: They Can't!
2. NO scripture states that baptism is UNNECESSARY.
3. The exact opposite is true.
G. Basis For Forming A Doctrine
1. More than one scripture is needed.
a) 2 Peter 1:20 Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation
b) Matthew 18:16 But if he will not hear thee, then take with thee one or two more, that in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established.
H. Who Said That Baptism Is Necessary?
1. Jesus Christ- (Mark 16:16; Matt. 28:19.)
2. Peter- (1 Peter 3:21)
I. Listen To What Paul Had To Say On The Subject In Galatians 1:8&9
1. Galatians 1:8,9 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed. 9, As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.
J. It Takes The Truth, The Whole Truth!
1. Isaiah 28:10 For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line, line upon line; here a little, and there a little:
K. It Pays to be Sure, and God's Word is Sure!